Spring Green Minestrone
4 Four Star Sweet Fennel Sausage, casing removed and sliced into coins
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 small fennel bulb, sliced thin
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 carrots, sliced in coins
1/2 cup zucchini, diced
1/2 cup green beans, cut on bias
1/2 cup sweet peas
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup ditalini pasta
1 can cannellini beans, drain and rinsed.
2 spring onion, thinly sliced
Sea salt & black pepper (for seasoning to taste)
Shaved Parmesan Cheese (for serving)
For the Pesto:
1/2 cup arugula
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- First prepare the pesto. In a food processor combine the arugula, basil, parsley and garlic and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Add cheese and pulse to combine. Season with salt and reserve.
- In a medium size pot, add olive oil and lightly brown sausage. Remove from pot and reserve.
- Add the onions, leeks, carrots, and fennel, season with salt, cook until vegetables are fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain pasta, reserve.
- Add pasta and cannellini beans into soup and simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the sausage into soup and heat through.
- Bowl up and top with the pesto, spring onion, parmesan cheese and a drizzle a good extra virgin olive oil.